6 Waterfalls - Portland, Oregon

By 6:19 PM


Oregon is more beautiful than words can say. Visiting in February, I was ready for harsh winds and cloudy overcast days. While in the city, the weather was just as I expected but the day we spent driving along the Columbia River Gorge we were lucky enough to have a sunny clear sky.  The Historic Columbia River Highway (HCRH) is well known to be a waterfall wonderland. 


Originally, I was driving to pinned-point waterfalls on my maps but along the way I came across a waterfall on the side of the road. So, I hopped off the nearest exit and found an information center. There, a kind man gave me the ultimate map to see these waterfalls. you can find a similar one right here :) From Portland drive towards I-84 East and take exit 22 to follow "HCRH".

1st. The first waterfall along this stop was Latourell Falls! This breathtaking waterfalls requires little walking to see. There is another trail that takes you to the bottom part of the falls.

2nd. Shepperds Dell Falls, for this waterfall, you just gotta pull over on the side (where it's ok) and it's right there along the road. I guess there used to be a trail to see it closer, but due to the fire the trail is now inaccessible.
3rd. Bridal Veil Falls.  The trail to this luscious waterfall is about a mile round trip, it has switchbacks, but it was pretty easy for my 6 year old to do.

4th. Wahkeena Falls. Another beautiful falls along this road. You can see Wahkeena Falls from the parking lot but you can also follow the trail to see a part of the falls up closer. (.4 mi. round trip to the falls)
5th. Multnomah Falls, standing high and towering over the mountains, this majestic waterfall lives up to its name.
6th. Horsetail Falls. This is another falls you can pull over the parking area and it's right there, no trail necessary. 
You can even walk to the bottom of it! It's absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite ones along this road.

I feel beyond grateful for being able to do this. This is all about 30 minutes away from downtown Portland and it's a must do for the nature lover. It does require a few hours to do, especially if you enjoy taking a lot of pictures. I would save at least 3 hours of the day just to see this. Could be less or more depending on the individual.

Waterfalls are a beautiful force of nature, if you have a chance hop on the I-84 and take it to the Historic Columbia River Highway.

You Might Also Like

0 comments